The state-owned mines of Bor are located in the west Serbia next to the town Bor and six other villages. The mines were opened in 1904 for copper exploitation and have increased its production several times during the last century, including opening new mining sites and expansion of the factory. Currently, the company RTB Bor employs 5,000 people that work in nine mines, three flotation units, two foundries, electrolysis unit, sulphuric acid factory, factory of non-metal salts, and lime factory. In the beginning of the Bor mines explorations, the ore copper content was 17% and it was transported to France for processing. In 1935, as the copper content lowered, the company decided to establish a foundry in Bor. It was when the first protests against mines occurred. After an acid rain episode the farmers blocked the factory for 3 days demanding the compensation for the harvest loss. These demonstrations were stopped with military intervention and one person died. The Government of ex-Yugoslavia came with a solution to free the farmers from paying taxes for the next three years, which would be compensated from the fine prescribed to the factory. Besides, the government demanded from the company to install a sulfuric acid factory to reduce emissions. Two new foundries were opened in the 1960s and 1970s, while another big protest occurred in 1989 when the citizens pointed out presence of the radiation in Bor. The national Government denied such claims.